Monday, June 9, 2014

Solitude in the Magnificent Redwoods of San Mateo

A Grove of Gorgeous Greens
This weekend my friend Jess and I took a morning hike to Portola Redwoods State Park in San Mateo, CA.
We took the Iverson Falls trail, which runs along a creek (my favorite type of trails!). I'd post a picture of the waterfall, buuuuut I didn't check the website and the "waterfall" was really more of a trickling kiddie pool. Lesson learned: next time I'll do my research and check the best times to visit waterfalls. Even though the waterfall wasn't mindblowing, the trail to the falls is gorgeous--not too strenuous, but tons of beautiful sights, lots of solitude, and no cell phone reception. I did not realize how important this would be. The phone has no place in the forest (with the exception of taking pictures!). I'm really gaining a new sense of appreciation for nature, especially now that my free time is much more limited.

It's been several months since starting my new non-profit job, and transitioning from a student to a full-timer has definitely been an exciting but sometimes challenging transition. I do miss the free time I once had during the weeks, when I could go on morning hikes during the weekdays, but sadly, that's no longer a possibility.
I also work in the heart of the city, meaning it's noisy as f*ck. Ambulances, honking horns, collisions, police sirens, protests, I hear it all. Not a moment of silence. I love my job, but the city sounds are jarring and stress-inducing.

One thing that has kept me sane is my weekly walks/hikes. For anyone who is constantly sitting indoors in an office, Monday through Friday, I seriously encourage you to take a walk. Just one. To the beach, to a nearby park, but whenever possible, go to the forests. Experience the solitude, surround yourself by the sounds of birds, rustling leaves and babbling creeks. It. is. so. therapeutic.

On our way to Iverson Falls
Lush foliage as tall as me! (I'm 5'1)
No mushrooms in sight, so I spent most of my time looking up.
Luscious Ferns
My friend told me that if you lick their bellies, you get calories. Can someone verify this? (I did not try, in case you're wondering.)

I hope this encourages folks to get out into the forests. We need more places without Wi-Fi.

Surprising Find of the Day: I also found this beautiful feather on our way to Portola State Redwoods. I just got a Western Bird Field Guide, so I'll post an update once I identify where this SF Giants-colored feather came from. Another gorgeous feather added to my collection!


Well, that was my weekend. Next weekend I'm taking surfboarding lessons with a friend. SURFBORT. Sorry. Actually, I'm not. 

~Toodles and have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...