Saturday, September 21, 2013

New Ventures: Hayes Valley Open Air Market




Last Sunday I informally participated in the Hayes Valley Urban Air Market. While I was not initially expecting to sign up for local craft/maker fairs and markets, Lauren of Mitsymoto Designs graciously invited me to set up a little shop at her booth/table. I took the offer, seeing that it could offer some exposure and I got some great business feedback from her and a few others. I had a great time, although it was definitely exhausting! The most exciting part of these types of events is meeting other crafters, makers, and artists who love doing what they do. I enjoy meeting amazing folks who are in fashion, jewelry, floral design, and art, and I love hearing about the various ways people make a living, whether it's a side gig or a full-time business. Anyhow, I'm so happy that I got to attend this local event. It was so hard not to shop, but I did end up with these amazing earrings:
From Mitsymoto Designs. Aren't they fabulous?!

Once I got home, I thought a lot about my blog and my side hustle. I thought a lot about what Terrarium Therapy is. Is it a business? Is it just a blog? WHAT EXACTLY IS IT?  I've come to realize that I just like making things. I just love creating. I like sharing what I make or see. Every time I think of myself as a business, I sort of cringe. I worry I won't enjoy the process of creating something, I worry that I'll focus too much on making profit than actually creating for the sake of creating. Plus, I really don't enjoy pricing the stuff I make. I really don't. I definitely don't overcharge my items, and when folks have suggested I up my prices, I struggle with that because I'm not a business. For me, my necklaces and arrangements are a side-job--a hustle--to fund new projects. As most creators and hobbyists know, hobbies and crafting are not cheap endeavors. 

As for my blog, this has been a nonacademic space for me to post about my life outside of grad school. This blog has sort of been an online photo album for me to track all of my adventures and projects. I briefly considered trying to expand my blog, but I remember making blogs in the past and then abandoning them once I felt that my blog posts no longer represented my interests. This was partly because I kept envisioning the kind of blog I thought others would want to see. So while the recent posts have been somewhat about my side hustle, the terrarium necklaces, I'm going back to posting about my adventures, projects, and mushroom hunts.

Coming up this week: I am making Shrinky Dinks! Stay tuned :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...