Monday, March 3, 2014

Life Lately: Succulent Babies, Coastal Life, and Mossy Mount Davidson

Brief update on my succulent babies: lots of propagation! The rains have actually jump-started their growth and I'm so excited to make more itty bitty terrariums for my friends!



I've been walking along Ocean Beach and I love when the beach is empty and the skies are overcast. Gloomy weather is the perfect time to walk along the beach and listen to music. I haven't had as many opportunities to go to the beach ever since I started my new job, but every time I do go I leave feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. I know I say this all the time, but I'm such a water/earth baby--I find peace of mind when I'm surrounded by the ocean, trees, mountains--you name it. It's a place of refuge for me. 


Weekends seem to be the only times I am free to explore, so on Sunday my friends and I hiked to Mount Davidson, where the fog and mist makes its home within the trees...

I spent some time scanning the floors and rocks and spotted a ton of different mosses and lichens...

Even more exciting, I spotted lots of gorgeous fungi coming out after the rains!
Lots of strap coral fungi on some fallen trees...
Spotting tiny little mushrooms always make my day, I still got the eye for spotting the tiniest little mushrooms! 
This was my favorite find of the day--some jelly fungi that reminded me of yellow skittles or jelly beans.

Spotting all the fungi made me especially happy and excited, because I haven't spotted any cool mushrooms lately. If you're into mushroom hunting, Mount Davidson has the perfect micro-climate for them--it's usually really wet and misty, and if you venture off the trails *just a little bit* you might be surprised at what you find!

As I mentioned in my previous post, most of my photos are on instagram (@terrariumtherapy), but keep checking back here--I have pictures from Portland, OR coming soon :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...