Monday, August 25, 2014

On the Road: The Pacific Northwest (Part II)


ROAD TRIP!

After a stop in Portland, Rodolfo and I continued up North towards Seattle/Olympic National Forest. We made a pit stop in Seattle, ate some good food, and then continued North. We are craving those Northwest camp vibes, so we made it a point to camp.

*The pictures look a little wonky here because I used wide angle lens attachment. 

Driving through the park

I am in love with this gorgeous lake. The sights and the colors were absolutely breathtaking.

Caught this lil guy munching on some leaves. I've never seen a black slug before!

We stopped off the road and did some exploring. We walked through a gorgeous grove of trees that led us to this river bank. I imagine there is a lot more going on here in the spring.

Random fact: Did you know that rivers are considered the most dangerous body of water? I believe it. The currents shift rapidly because of shifting rocks, debris, and trees. The water is FAST. I made sure to keep my distance, because I'm pretty sure I could easily be washed away in a matter of seconds.

The gorgeous fern groves that line the roads.

Before we got to our campsite, we explored Ruby Beach and I played all over the driftwood. We even saw a bald eagle in the trees. These little sightings just leave me in awe, because it's a reminder that I have so much more to see and explore outside of my little San Francisco/Bay Area bubble. 

Forts galore!


What else happened? Rodolfo and I pitched a tent for the first time. I'm not going to lie, I am an anxious person and have a habit of worrying about new activities and minute details, such as pitching a tent, or finding materials. I also talked about this when I went snowboarding. Again, I am so thankful to have friends and life companions that gently push my boundaries in a supportive, loving way. It's a constant practice for me to put myself out there, stretch my comfort threshold, and it is always a positive experience. After doing it once, I'm completely confident that camping is going to be an ongoing activity from here on out. 

Inside our tent

The view from our campsite. *heart eyes*

The star of the show.
I have to give a big round of applause to my wee little car! This lil guy took me places! 

I'm so grateful for this experience. Being in nature is such a grounding experience for me, physically and mentally. I can see myself building a home in the Pacific Northwest, and I think it will be an amazing experience. I need a change of pace, and I want more green spaces. Suddenly, San Francisco feels just a little bit smaller. I'm happy to be back, but the Pacific Northwest, particularly Portland, has stolen my heart.
<3 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...