Saturday, November 30, 2013

My First Trip to a Gem Show

Today my mom and I stopped by the San Mateo Gem Show (going on this weekend!) and got some goodies! Today's mission: find raw, uncut minerals and Herkimer diamonds. I've been wanting to make more mineral terrariums and I ended up with some quartz points, so keep a lookout for those!

My lively herkimer diamonds! They aren't actually diamonds, they're double-terminated quartz, which basically means they have two faceted ends. 
Pictured (although not in order): peridot, quarts, smokey quartz, rose quartz, opal, tourmaline, ruby, neon apatipe, amethyst, iolite, pyrite, gypsum rose, citrine, copper, turquoise, and a mound of zeolite.

When I got home I sorted all of my mineral specimens. I plan on putting some of the specimens in terrarium necklaces, but most if them are going into my collection. So far, I have a sizeable collection but I'd like to expand it. I am also trying to brainstorm ways I could openly display all of them besides in jars. Any ideas? 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...